Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I was going to post this tomorrow, on the day that I actually move, but since we are loading everything tonight, I probably won't have a computer to use in the morning. It might be a couple days until I post again, not sure what day the net will be hooked up in our new place. Talk to you all later!! Enjoy!!!


Ode to the Hovel


By: Jeshanah Ramirez

Edited by: Sharla Holsapple and Becca Holsapple


Ode to the hovel,
What a humble abode;
You used to be the color,
Of an ugly, green toad.


Where once you were green,
Now you are brown;
You match all the rest,
Of the shantys around.


You're still really ugly,
Of that, have no fear;
That's why this has been,
The world's longest year.


Our feet are always filthy,
Because of your floor;
All the sand in this state,
Comes in under your door.


There's trash everywhere,
Not that it matters;
With your curb appeal,
The trash almost flatters.


Cockroaches and ants,
Bugs galore;
You've grossed us out once,
And then some more.


Outside there are people,
Who like to get high;
Sweet smoke fills the air,
And also my eyes.

If the smoke could stay out,
Instead of coming in;
I could think better thoughts,
My head wouldn't swim.


I'm told it's the same,
In the best neighborhoods;
If I could leave you closed up,
Believe me, I would.


If it's really so safe,
Then please tell me why;
Do we have to have a fence,
That is 6 feet high?


And even with the fence,
The occasional stranger;
Will stop to peek in,
(But I'm sure there's no danger!)


I never had heard,
Of a swamp cooler before;
But I soon learned,
That it's only a metaphor.


The guys have to go up,
On the roof night and day;
Because the cooler is worthless,
What else can I say?


You're an ugly old house,
And a match I would strike;
But you've made me quite famous,
And that part I like!


Some people may think,
I'm just being vicious;
And that you are only,
Being "hovelicious".
(But you broke one of my brand new dishes!!!)


Some friends of mine joke,
That once I move out;
I won't have anything left,
To go on and on about.


My complaints will be fewer,
No doubt in my mind;
But I'll think of something,
I've just gotta whine!


I can hardly believe,
I've lived here all year long;
Now that I'm leaving,
I could burst into song!


Count your many blessings,
Name them one by one;
My time in the hovel,
Is finally done!

14 comments:

Sharla said...

How fitting! How appropriate! Lovely sentiments. I bet you'll really miss the ol' place!










not

Anonymous said...

Quite lovely...really.

Anonymous said...

mom...I wanted to be first!

Hully said...

Haha, good stuff. Just think how much your life has been enriched by this experience.

Or something.

Israel said...

Longfellow, Whitman, Angelou and now Jeshanah, it's really hard to say who is the better poet.

But you forgot to include the part about the rent being so low you would have to pay more living in a cardboard box under the bridge...

Anonymous said...

RENT was low, Electricity was very hi, water was very hi, (one of the coolers had a rusted out bottom and leaked) and the amt of $$ I had to put in repairs to make it livable made it not much cheaper than the place I'm going to be living at.

joshgramirez said...

Zion,
You're not in Kansas anymore.

Anonymous said...

Our new place is nice. All the nieghbors seem friendly. We have a georgeous view of the mountain on my way to work in the morning. Now the drive is 35 min instead of 20, but it still isn't that bad. The air conditioning is awesome!

And that's why I now refer to this place as "The Haven"

Israel said...

Good. I'm Happy for you guys.

Now Jeshanah will write nothing but positive, uplifting posts and she'll never complain again.

And she'll go out and get a job, to help out with the bills (at least until you guys have kids.)

And the sky will be full of cotton candy clouds and taffy rainbows and it'll rain Skittles twice a day and no one will ever get diabetes again.

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know about raining skittles, but you should see the awesome view we see while we take the trash to the dumpster.

Jeshanah said...

Well, thank you for planning my life out for me... it really makes it so much easier when I don't have to think for myself.

Not saying that I wasn't already planning on getting a job, (I am) but I really don't get what your obsession with me getting a job is.

Jeshanah said...

Thanks for the compliment on my poem, Israel. That's high praise, coming from you!! =)

Israel said...

I'm not obsessed with you or anyone else getting a job.

I just think it'll be interesting to see what happens once you are living in a nice place and the excuses start dropping away.

Before it was all about "I hate the hovel, but I can't leave it for a second because I need to protect my sister-in-law from flesh-eating zombies" or whatever.

Now, not so much, so let's see what happens, especially if you start actually going out and trying to have a life instead of just complaining about why you can have one.

You should be having the time of your life. You are young, healthy and you have no real responsibilities. You should be enjoying every second of it. These should be some of the best years of your life, so try not to miss them.

Trust me, just wait till you have kids, there will be a million things to complain about when you are up to your elbows in puke and poop...

I can't wait!!

Jeshanah said...

You and me both; sounds like fun!!