Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Zion took me to get some Creative Memories stuff on Saturday, so I have been working on my albums since then. I am actually redoing my entire wedding album because I have never been very happy with the way it turned out, so I ripped it all apart and started completely from scratch. It's a pretty big job, but I think it is going to be totally worth it!!

Since I am scrapbooking again, it makes me think about a lot of other old memories that we might not have 'snap-snap' pictures of, so I am taking a little walk down memory lane. (Normally this sort of stuff is reserved for campfire conversation or Christmas eve, or even a journal, but I don't write in a journal, I missed the recent campfire, and I'm not entirely sure where we'll be for Christmas eve.) If you'd like to join me on my little walk, read on!


Remember when Dad fell in that huge mud puddle on our church camping trip to Brown County? (He was walking me back to his and Mom's tent from the one that about 5 of us little girls were staying in. We had gotten scared because we had played a prank on Justin and Jariah by putting hotdogs around the truck that they were sleeping in and when we heard animal noises later that night, we thought for sure that some horrible wild animals were attacking my brothers!!!)

I remember when Dad fell down (again!) getting out of his truck while coming to rescue Mom and I after we got the van stuck in the ditch just after a snow storm. I won't mention why I was the one who had to go into the stranger's house to call for help, while Mom sat comfortably in the van, but she didn't want to hippety-hop to go use the phone... you're welcome mom!! (Evil laugh)

I remember Justin jumping into the lake to rescue me from 'drowning' when it was my turn to go tubing behind a PONTOON boat!! (Probably not the smartest thing we ever did, but it was kinda fun!) John was driving and went faster in the pontoon than I wanted him to and the tube started to go under water because of the current. (I never forget, John!) Jariah jumped in, too, but Justin had superman like reflexes and was there in a flash!!

I remember how Jess ALWAYS found a mud puddle to accidentally step in on the first day of every vacation we took there for a while. (She probably would have found one in Arizona, too!)

I remember when Jariah got burned so badly in that fire. And of course, who can forget how Justin swallowed a nail!!


I also remember Justin getting Rocky Mountain spotted fever, no doubt from spending all the time down by the creek building his mansion of a tree house. (I'm not kidding, the thing had 3 stories!!)

And then there was that fire in the trailer while Mom was at work and Jess was doing the laundry. She and Justin had it put out BEFORE the fire department even arrived and although they didn't even let me near the trailer while there was any fire or even smoke, the ambulance people just had to check me out in case I was too stupid to know that I had been burned. (I had marker on my hands and they were really closely examining that like it was some terrible burn and I remember thinking, you guys are idiots, if this was a burn, I would be bawling my eyes out, I was like six or seven years old, believe me, if I was hurt, you would have known about it BEFORE you even pulled in!!!) I am still curious about how fast Mr. Steaman and Mom both drove to get there after calling 911 for us... the trip from mom's work USUALLY took 15 minutes, but Mr. Steamen got there about the same time the fire trucks did, and mom was only about 20 seconds behind!!!!

I also remember falling into the swimming pool that was frozen over. (man, talk about your cold water!!)

Oh yeah, I also remember something concerning BekaY and my own dear sweet sister, Jess. You guys remember, right? How you BROKE my NOSE right after my EYE SURGERY?!!!! And then you ate my milk duds!! Or did you eat my milk duds, then break my nose? It's not like I'm holding a grudge or anything.... but I want more milk duds!!! Moral of that is, don't play 'popcorn' on the trampoline!!!!


I almost forgot one of my favorites, remember when Zion had his car taken into the shop only to discover that it was out of gas?!

Well, that's all for now, we'll walk again later...

15 comments:

Sharla said...

I guess when you lay it all out like that, we have had some pretty weird things happen to us. That was a funny post, Shan. Man, I miss you guys. Do you know how long it's been since I've seen my son? I saw a couple guys walking in the partking lot right before we moved and there for a minute I was sure it was Justin and Jariah. When I realsized that of course it wasn't I felt nearly sick. You know that pit in your stomach feeling. Sometimes when I think about all of you being so far away I feel like I could have a panic attack. But then I tell myself that you are all fine and hopefully we'll still get together as a whole family again sometime on this side and if not, definitely on the other.
I am too busy to scrapbook right now. That is probably a good thing! I love the 5 of you very much.

Israel said...

Seems like good fortune follows Jeshanah everywhere, not just Arizona.

Hully said...

A few notes...

1 - As soon as you said "a little walk down memory lane" I knew that the first stop on that walk would be Brown County. Hehe. Classic.

2 - Easter Bunny PJs?

3 - I only went fast because I knew Justin would save you.

4 - I'll never forget Jariah standing there with no eyebrows saying, "Don't tell Mom."

Last but not least - Guns don't kill people. Trampolines kill people.

Anonymous said...

heh...Brown County.....LoL
*Maria*

Jeshanah said...

Zion, yeah yeah, same old excuse!

Israel, Yeah, I'm lucky I guess.

Mom, you have no idea how many times I've had that 'pit on your stomach feeling' since we've moved. I have been very close to hugging the porcelain statue numerous times, but then I remember the cockroaches that might be lurking in the bathroom and just keep taking deep breaths until it goes away!


Bekah Y... I was like 11 and probably still suffering from the effects of the anesthesia bouncing at least 5 feet off the trampoline, of course I couldn't keep hold of my feet!! (However, I will forgive the milk duds because as I recall the two of you actually already got me more milk duds and some band-aid shaped gum and a card and probably some other things so as to ease your guilt!) Plus, you know it was like 13 years ago, it's probably time to let it go... (it's not healthy to hold onto these things... =))


John, well how can you take a walk down memory lane and NOT mention dad's fall in the mud at Brown County!?! It's just not possible!
And they weren't 'Easter Bunny' pj's, they were just footsie pjs. Aqua colored ones. But there was not a little cotton ball tail or ears, so I wouldn't classify them as "Easter Bunny pj's".

Maria, do you remember climbing all the way down the the base of the ravine, only to later discover that there was a trail with stairs just around the corner?! And playing barbies at night in the tent until Sis. Barb yelled at us, then playing barbies during the day and A.C. wanting to join us?! Good times. I have pictures still in one of my scrapbooks.

Anonymous said...

YOU FALL DOWN 2 TIMES IN YOUR LIFE AND NO ONE WILL LET IT GO.

Sharla said...

Pops

Lol!

Jeshanah said...

Hahaha, Pops, I'm sure Justin and Jariah could recall a few more of your falling down incidents than I can. I remember hearing about you falling down into a basement at one of your job-sites. Even Zion remembers a couple work related falls.

Hully said...

Appearantly the concussions from all the other falls erased most of his memory...

Israel said...

Sounds like "We Fall Down" the famous gospel song by singer Donnie McClurkin might make a good theme song for Mr. Holsapple.

Everyone needs a good theme song.

Sharla said...

He's always had the broadest shoulders and the huge chest which has made him top heavy. Remember when he tipped upside down in his inner tube floating down Castaway Creek at Typhoon Lagoonat Disney World? Once again his legs were just sticking up, but this time that meant his head was under water! We were all laughing so hard we could barely help him get upright.

Jeshanah said...

ROFL!! I actually thought of that one on my little walk, but I didn't wanna keep on posting about how many times dad fell down (and nearly drowned...) I gotta say though, that was one of the funniest things ever!!!!

Anonymous said...

Shan....at the time we didnt think the five of us in that silly lil pup tent was so great...but lookin back now....how else COULD we have had it?! I mean....our most prized possesions were in the lil baggie at the top of that tent....wait...that was our candy!! hahahaha!!!! we were always kinda nuts werent we?! LOok how normal we turned out! *grin* I love ya!

Anonymous said...

ummm...sorry Shan...that was Me....*points to comment above* Maria

Jeshanah said...

I kinda figured. =)