Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Okay, so I guess it's time for an update... I have been at my job for just over a week now. It's going pretty well. Right now I am the continental breakfast girl, which consists of heating up a bunch of pre-cooked foods, keeping the juices full and the coffee hot. I also wipe all the tables down between guests, and sweep and mop the floor. (Mopping is my absolute least favorite part of the job, but I think it will have a positive effect on my abs....)

My manager, Bill, says that in the next couple of weeks he will train me on the front desk. (Shouldn't be too hard, since I have worked at the front desk in Lima for 5 years and they use the same computer system that I used there. I'll just have to learn all their phone extensions and things that are specific to this property.)

So far I am liking the job, and the people that I am getting to know. I have only ever talked to a couple of my new co-workers, because I am in the cafe by myself (except the guests). So it's basically just been Bill, the general manager, and Van, the maintenance man, plus a couple of housekeepers who barely speak English that I have met. Bill is fairly new to his position, but I think he is a great manager, (And I've had some of the best!!) and Van is the guy who trained me.

I am slowly getting used to the schedule... I have to be there by 5:30 each morning, which means that I have to be up by 4:45-5, and I am generally home by 11. (Which until a week ago was about the time I was waking up... how crazy!!!)

This is a much smaller property than what I was used to in Lima, only 89 rooms compared to 150 and only about 15 employees compared to almost 100! It's also closer to my house than the one in Lima was, if you can believe that!! (It used to take me 4 minutes to work, now, even if I get stopped at the traffic light, it takes me 2 minutes!! Isn't that awesome?!??!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think you need to bring some of those hot cinnammon rolls to church on Sunday morning!

Unknown said...

Wow! One comment from me asking about the job and this blog is resurrected.
I have severely underestimated my own influence!

Anonymous said...

Well we've all been waiting for an update on what's been going on. Jeshanah really likes it, and her management is calling her a "Heavensent" from what i hear.
Hey paul michael, thanks for asking questions, that gives her something to at least answer.

Jeshanah said...

Today I had two guests come in who were obviously brothers. The funny thing is, one of them had a handlebar mustache (what's up with that? it's 2007!!!)and the other one was barefoot the whole time he was serving up his breakfast. GrOsS!!

Oh, and yesterday we had a nice couple who were wearing matching outfits... two days in a row! How gay can you be!!! Blech!

Anonymous said...

Latest news from Fashion Magazine says handlebar mustaches are back!

Oh yeah, so are matching uniforms for couples.

See that way, in a world full of people that are dressed with unisex fashion, you can tell which one is the guy by his long handlebar mustach.

Jeshanah said...

Don't you even think about it, Zion!!