Saturday, September 03, 2011

Well it's been a while since I've done an "actual" post... so here goes.

Things have been crazy busy here because I finally had my first ever Scotchguard meeting (you can see what I'm talking about at www.Scotchguardgirls.com for those of you who don't know… and want to!!) at the end of August then Lincoln and Garrison have both had pink eye plus Lincoln has ANOTHER ear infection... as if that wasn't enough, I have a sinus infection so it's been lots and lots of eyedrops , Dr. visits and prescriptions the past week. Garrison's also teething (getting two more top teeth in... for a total of 6 teeth so far!!) and has been coughing. He’s usually such a happy little guy, that this new, fussier, clingy little man is really wearing me out!!! It's all been exhausting!!

Zion has been working with my Dad, Justin and Jariah most evenings on a big construction job (storage unit) that Dad got... even though he's not technically still "doing" construction (he has a day job driving a cement truck for another company) he gets the occasional framing job… which is GREAT because it should pay for the concrete that we’ve been waiting on for our house!! None too soon, either, as my birthday will be here before you know it!! My birthday is the deadline that I gave to Zion a little over a month ago to get me out of my parents house… for my sanity as well as his (and theirs!)… not that I’m saying my parents driving me to the brink, the situation however, is. =P A grown woman with a husband and two children of her own is not meant to live with her parents for over a year; no matter how great of people/ parents they are. =)

About our house, people have been asking about it, it’s very slow going. We haven’t accomplished much of anything on it because we haven’t been able to move forward financially with the concrete yet. (Thankfully that should not be the case in a week or so… Praise the Lord!!) Right now, it’s just the shell (4 walls and a roof) that was already there, and we’ve gotten the plumbing ready underground as well as the gravel on the “floor”… we JUST decided to make what will eventually be our foyer/ guest bathroom, but for now will be our family room bigger by 4 feet so Zion has to build forms for that and spread the gavel along the wall that was extended. We have pretty much everything else we’re going to need to finish it (minus a few relatively inexpensive items such as kitchen countertops, some light fixtures, mud and paint to name a few…) *Stephanie, if you’re reading this, I want to know how to get free paint!!!*

So since we’re getting close to the “finishing the concrete” stage, (we are using the concrete as our flooring, I’d seen it done out in AZ and it looked really cool!) I’ve been busy trying to decide for sure what colors we want to stain/ paint that with… along with trying to get an image in my head about what paint colors I might want on the walls. (Don’t worry, I’ve told my Mom not to let me get TOO crazy! Hehe This is a home after all. ;) She’s doing her best to tame some of my wilder ideas.)

I’m not making it easy on her as far as decorating goes, because I have two very different styles that I like; Medieval (like my wedding) and a more Modern, kind of funky with lots of lime green thrown in. I have lots of decorative things in both of these styles already because while I was living in AZ I was starting to kind of switch from the Medieval style the the more Modern style… but I didn’t have enough of the modern looking, bright things to make it seem finished. At first Mom suggested I just sell all of my more medieval stuff and use the money to go buy more modern items if that’s the look I was going for… she was thrown for a little loop when I said I couldn’t do that because I still loved all of my medieval stuff, too. =P

My old plan was that when I built my “real” house, (it’s a 2 story with a basement that my Mom designed for me YEARS ago! Probably more like a “Dream” house than a “real” house… but, hey! It’s all good!) I would have all the medieval stuff on the main, more formal floor… and all the bright, crazy stuff would be used to decorate the basement where we would spend most of our time. So I didn’t want to sell it. And I didn’t want to store it, either, because I really don’t have room or money to store a bunch of useless stuff. =P For a while she didn’t know what to suggest… but then she was inspired by a movie she watched and claims that she can make it all work together and it will look really awesome!!! Woohoo!!! I KNEW she could! (And I wasn’t really giving her a choice… ;) teehehehe)

Well, that’s all I can write about for now… my life is calling… =)

2 comments:

L. Buchholz said...

Shan i'm excited for you guys! Building a house has to be so exciting! So many options :) Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

You may find plenty of myths that talk about the cons of wood countertops like staining, scratching and warping. However, you can prevent such things happening to your wooden countertops by varnishing it with a high quality mineral oil.