Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Zion was just looking at some of my old posts and he stopped on this one so I re-read it and had to post it again! In case anyone missed it the first time, here it is again in all its glory!!!
Enjoy!!


Ode to the Hovel

By: Jeshanah Ramirez

Edited by: Sharla Holsapple and Becca Holsapple


Ode to the hovel,
What a humble abode;
You used to be the color,
Of an ugly, green toad.


Where once you were green,
Now you are brown;
You match all the rest,
Of the shantys around.


You're still really ugly,
Of that, have no fear;
That's why this has been,
The world's longest year.


Our feet are always filthy,
Because of your floor;
All the sand in this state,
Comes in under your door.


There's trash everywhere,
Not that it matters;
With your curb appeal,
The trash almost flatters.


Cockroaches and ants,
Bugs galore;
You've grossed us out once,
And then some more.


Outside there are people,
Who like to get high;
Sweet smoke fills the air,
And also my eyes.

If the smoke could stay out,
Instead of coming in;
I could think better thoughts,
My head wouldn't swim.


I'm told it's the same,
In the best neighborhoods;
If I could leave you closed up,
Believe me, I would.


If it's really so safe,
Then please tell me why;
Do we have to have a fence,
That is 6 feet high?


And even with the fence,
The occasional stranger;
Will stop to peek in,
(But I'm sure there's no danger!)


I never had heard,
Of a swamp cooler before;
But I soon learned,
That it's only a metaphor.


The guys have to go up,
On the roof night and day;
Because the cooler is worthless,
What else can I say?


You're an ugly old house,
And a match I would strike;
But you've made me quite famous,
And that part I like!


Some people may think,
I'm just being vicious;
And that you are only,
Being "hovelicious".
(But you broke one of my brand new dishes!!!)


Some friends of mine joke,
That once I move out;
I won't have anything left,
To go on and on about.


My complaints will be fewer,
No doubt in my mind;
But I'll think of something,
I've just gotta whine!


I can hardly believe,
I've lived here all year long;
Now that I'm leaving,
I could burst into song!


Count your many blessings,
Name them one by one;
My time in the hovel,
Is finally done!


This was written right around the time I moved out of "the hovel" and into "the Haven" (the first and 2nd place we lived in while in AZ.... there were 4 all together in the almost 3 years we were out there!!)

4 comments:

Sharla said...

Awww, the memories! Almost makes you want to go back, doesn't it?

Lost in FWA said...

Thanks for the re-laugh! =D

-Laura

Jeshanah said...

lol, Mom, almost as much as you want to go back to Texas!!!

BeccaHolsapple said...

Love it! Funny how it`s seems like a lifetime ago though!